A tower of scrap cars - what documents do i need to scrap my car?

Before scrapping your car, you'll need to present the dealer with a couple of documents to verify your identity and prove the car's ownership. These documents include a photo ID, such as a passport or valid driving licence and proof of your address such as a utility bill.

Over 1 million cars are scrapped in the UK each year. In order to ensure this is done ethically and legally, there is an element of paperwork included when scrapping your car.

In recent years there have been a number of new regulations put in place to stop the illegal sale and purchase of stolen metal. With these regulations coming and going, it can make it confusing when trying to determine exactly what documentation you need to bring with you to scrap your car. This might seem off-putting, but it’s really quite simple once you know where to start.

Keep reading for our complete guide to scrapping your car!


Where can I scrap my car?

Scrapping your car isn’t as simple as just finding someone to destroy the vehicle. Oil and various hazardous parts such as the engine and battery will need to be properly removed.

So, when looking to scrap your car, you must find an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) to take it to. Only ATFs have the legal authority to safely scrap cars.

If you’d like to scrap your car, the best place to start is with a scrap car quote to find out how much your car is worth. To do this, simply head over to our homepage where you can provide your car’s registration and your postcode. Here at A&L Scrap Car Dealers, we offer free, no-obligation quotes that will be instantly available to you via email link.

Scrap Your Vehicle


What documents do I need to scrap my car?

When scrapping your car, there is a list of documents your car scrapper may possibly ask to see. Not all of these documents are legally required, so the documents you are asked to provide may vary from scrapper to scrapper. The list of documents are as follows: 

  1. Vehicle Registration Document (V5C) 

  2. Photo ID 

  3. Proof of Address

  4. Certificate of Destruction (CoD) 


Vehicle registration document (V5C)

The V5C, also referred to as the registration document or logbook, is an essential document when scrapping your car. This proves that you are the registered keeper and are authorised to scrap the car. This also prevents your car from being scrapped without your consent.

You may also need to provide the full or part service history.


Personal identification

You won’t be able to scrap your car without a valid form of photo ID as it’s a legal requirement for scrap metal dealers to verify the identity of all sellers. This can be in the form of a driving licence or passport.

As such, all sellers must bring either a valid photographic ID that also sets out their full residential address (e.g., driving license), or a formal document such as a utility bill and a valid photographic ID (e.g., passport) - make sure you bring ID with you when dropping the car off!


Scrapping a car that isn’t in your name

You can scrap a car that isn’t in your name, but the dealer will need to see certain documents proving you have permission to scrap the car on someone’s behalf.

To scrap a car in someone else’s name you will need…

  • Photo ID of the car’s owner
  • The V5C signed by the owner
  • Proof of address of the owner
  • A letter from the owner to show you have their permission to scrap the car


Can a car be scrapped without a logbook?

Legally, it is not a requirement to have your V5C logbook. You won’t need the logbook if your car is subject to a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification), which means it is no longer fit for driving. You will need to prove this.

Additionally, you can scrap the car without a logbook, providing you write to the DVLA confirming the following:

  • your personal information, including contact details
  • proof that your vehicle has been sold for scrap
  • when the vehicle was sold and details of the dealer
  • relevant vehicle information, including the make and model and the registration

If your car has been written off by your insurance company, however, you will need to complete the V5C/3 form (this is the yellow slip found in your vehicle logbook) and send it to the DVLA.

The nature of the write-off will fall under one of four categories: A, B, N or S. Learn more about these categories and what to do if your car is written off here.

It is relatively common for scrap dealers to only accept cars from sellers who are able to provide their V5C as proof of ownership. Having your V5C when selling your car for scrap is important, as it proves that the car being sold does in fact belong to you and stops any unauthorised or illegal sales.

We at A&L Scrap Car Dealers understand there are a number of circumstances leading to you being unable to provide your V5C, so we are able to accept sale of cars without them. However, we would strongly recommend bringing your V5C if possible, as having the V5C makes the selling process easier and faster. Not having your V5C will not affect your quote.


Do I need to notify the DVLA if I scrap my car?

Yes, it’s important that you let the DVLA know you’re scrapping your car. You can be fined £1,000 if you do not tell the DVLA.

When notifying the DVLA that your vehicle has been scrapped, you will need to fill out the V5C/3 form. Here you will provide key vehicle information, including the date it was scrapped and the registration number.

Get started here.

For more information on scrapping your car, you can read our Scrap Car FAQs where we cover everything you need to know about how we determine your quote and pay for your used car.

Scrap Car FAQs

READ MORE: Scrap My Van